Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase? I opened the Roadster full throttle on the parkway, letting the curves pull us, feeling their outbound gravity. The world blurred, the April trees lit up with pale green flames, scenes flashed by, falling water, swinging bridges strung across rocky ravines. Windows wide open, the full breath of spring of dirt of new life stirring in the breast of whatever was left for dead, all that rushed at us now. Tommy’s hair shuddered golden in the wind. He is a rake, a rake, the blinding shine of him reflected in the windscreen, Tommy’s glint and glory. Tommy’s hand laid here and there as if it hardly mattered, making me want to wreck the car. To find speed, drive myself deep into it. How would you interpret this phrase “Tommy’s hand laid here and there as if it hardly mattered”? Does it imply some romantic nature? PS: the narrator and the man called Tommy were gays. Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
2
0
Yes I think it implies a romantic nature. His hands were touching the narrator I suspect.
I don't think it is deeply sexual, due to the fact that Tommy's hand is just "laid here and there", probably the hand is just on the driver's crotch, leg, shoulder, etc. But the driver is certainly feeling sexually aroused from this, hence the last part.
Wu Ting