Hamed
Confusion! 'Followed' or 'Is followed'. I know it isn't possible to miss out the verb 'To be' in a passive construction. Like this: - This expression used mostly in British English. [X] - This expression is used mostly in British English. [✔] Now, have a look at these examples: - Verbs followed by –ing nouns. - Verbs is followed by –ing nouns. - 'A' followed by 'B'. - 'A' is followed by 'B'. Are there any differences between them? I can't understand the first sentence in each example. I guess something has been omitted in those contexts. I see that sentence here: https://goo.gl/Vmf0Bf* Verbs are followed by –ing nouns.
13 มิ.ย. 2015 เวลา 16:28
13
0
This is just shortened form when they really mean common verbs that are usually followed by... They just omitted the verb :be which is simply understood from the context. I can say something like "Many people arrested this morning" and the reader of this headline will understand it is passive and the verb "be" has been omitted for the sake of brevity.
13 มิถุนายน 2015
'A' followed by 'B'. This is not a complete sentence: it is just a noun phrase. In the sentence from the link you posted, a noun phrase like this is the subject of the sentence. "[Common verbs followed by –ing nouns] [are] 'detest' and 'dislike'." The subject of this sentence is the whole phrase " Common verbs followed by -ing nouns". It is an abbreviated form of 'Common verbs which are followed by -ing nouns'. The verb in this sentence is the 'are' which follows the noun phrase. [A] [is followed] by 'B'. ['Detest' and 'dislike'] [are followed] by -ing nouns This is a complete sentence in itself. The subject is 'A', and the verb is the passive form 'is followed'. You can't omit the 'is', because this is an essential part of the structure of the sentence.
13 มิถุนายน 2015
Hamed
English, Persian (Farsi)