Alessia
What does "AIN'T" mean? I've never understood what "AIN'T" means. I think it's the negative contract form, but.. what does it mean? Thanks for helping.
11
0
Ain't is a contraction for am not, is not, are not, has not, and have not. It is not grammatically correct English. Native speakers use it, some people use it rather a lot but it is informal/colloquial English. In the wrong context it can give the impression of either laziness. or being poorly educated. It is for this reason that I am highly reluctant to recommend to non-native speakers that it is an appropriate word to use. But that seems like a bit of a double standard, that native speakers can use it and non-native speakers can't. But for a learner it can be very hard to judge the correct context, so with this in mind my advice would be not to use it until your English is of a high level. But definitely never use it in formal settings, and never use it in writing unless you want to specifically imitate colloquial speech.
am/is/are not, has/have not
It is the slang word for 'isn't'. It's quicker and quite a lazy option. It isn't polite and but not rude either.
am/is/are not, has/have not combined into one word to make it easier, but it is slang and normally not used in formal settings but it is okay in casual settings
Alessia
Arabic, English, French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
English, French, Spanish