Ruthi
What aids do you use to study? Hi everyone,I would like to ask what you use to study language? Do you like to listen to songs? Hear lectures or audio books? Read articles? What do you do when you come across words you don't know.I have just seen a new product called lingua.ly that you can download to your browser and also to your smartphone to help you study.You can check it out (it's free) and let me know if it is helpful.It will help you learn new vocabulary.Just write it in google and you can find it and add it to your browser.
8
0
When I started learning English I used to listen to English or American songs. I sang them, learned by heart and always checked the meaning of the lyrics. As soon as I was able to talk even a little bit I started to talk throught omegle. I found there a couple of friends who I chatted to on Skype everyday. Now we're not in touch anymore but in learning english helps me in particular watching films in English with English subtitles. I laso try to read an English book (that's a challange becouse of the vocab).
(I'm studying Spanish) 1) I've set my computer's language to Spanish. Not only are all the Mac OS menus and dialogs in Spanish, but the web browser knows I've selected Spanish and many websites I go to show me Spanish-language versions. (Once in a while I need to reset to English when I really need to understand an error message). 2) Unless I'm doing something complicated or I'm nervous, I select Spanish on ATM machines and supermarket self-checkout machines. 3) I listen to the (excellent) podcasts, "The News In Slow Spanish." (I pay for the full half-hour program, it's worth it--it's exactly at the right level for me. Recently I've made a small breakthrough--I sometimes understand the programs without mentally translating). 4) I will randomly tune in for five or ten minutes at a time to Spanish-language programs on TV, and some on-demand material I get at no extra cost with Amazon Prime. I am not too proud to listen to children's programming; the Spanish version of "Fireman Sam" ("Sam, El Bombero") is about right. 5) I try to read the occasional news story in El Pais. I was in New York for a few days and I picked up a copy of the newspaper, El Diario. 6) When I want to find something out, I try to check the Spanish Wikipedia first, and only use the English Wikipedia afterwards.
1) I try to have a textbook for each of my languages. 2) I make flashcards using Anki. I use Forvo to get audio for my cards. 3) The SBS releases news in every language I'm learning. I use that to practise my listening. 4) I chat with people over Skype to practise. Most of the time we just write to each other, but sometimes (far less frequently than I should) I also do voice calls. I also use Skype to ask for help if I need it. 5) I use Duolingo to practise making sentences. I consider Duolingo to be a online workbook.
Thank you for sharing. I've already tried lingua.ly and I liked it very much.The only drawback I've noticed is that verbs + prepositions in phrasal verbs are translated as two different words.
Oh, I find a tip which suggest to improve listening, watch again movies that you had already watched in your native language. I tried and I think is very helpful, I learned some words and expressions without searching in the dictionaries.
Ruthi
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Hebrew, Spanish