Bonnie
It is very hard for me to understand people on the phone... Hey guys hope you well. I came to Melbourne 3 and half years ago as an international student. I finished my master degree in accounting last year and entered the job market. I love to talk to people and I don't think I have difficulty to understand them (face to face conversation). But it is just so hard for me to understand people on the phone especially when they say their names and their companies' names. How can I improve my phone skills? Any suggestion?
1
0
Yes, I have the same problem with learning Italian. I need to look at the lips to help me understand. I think this will improve with time and experience. For now, I watch a little television each day, looking at the lips. I recommend that you watch a little TV news from the local TV station to learn the local accents. You can probably find short youtube videos. Also you can simply ask the person to spell their name and company's name. It is not offensive to ask this. Also repeat their name and company's name back to them: They will correct you if they need to, it is also not offensive in this way.
Bonnie