bnpl
Despite/In spite of... To my knowledge, ‘despite/in spite of’ can be followed by either a noun/noun phrase or an -ing, but I’m not sure whether I’ve written the following sentences correctly. Please kindly let me know. 1) Despite/In spite of so many clothes bought, Debbie still wants to buy more. 2) Despite/In spite of there being a lot of clothes in her wardrobe, Debbie still wants to buy more. By the way, if sentence 2) is grammatically correct, can someone please tell me whether ‘there being a lot of clothes...’ is a participle clause? Thanks in advance!
5
0
Both sentences are correct. In the second sentence, you have a gerund in a noun clause, not a participle clause.
In the first sentence you wouldn't use "of." It would make more sense if it were written as: "Despite buying so many clothes, Debbie still wants to buy more." Or, "Despite buying so many clothes, Debbie still wants to buy more." For the second sentence I would also remove the "of" and write: "Despite all of the clothes in her wardrobe, Debbie still wants to buy more."
bnpl
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English