Ana Carolina
"I did see him" Is that correct? Use "did" for affirmative statements? I was watching a Tv Show (Pretty Little Liars) then one person (Aria) told this "I did see him" next she said "Once, I saw his face" But I learned that we just use the auxiliar "do" in negative and in questions.
7
0
we use do to emphasis our question or answer, often when there is uncertainty by the asker. Did you see him last night? Yes I did. Are you sure? Yes I DID see him. Did you tidy your room? Yes It doesn't look like you did! I DID tidy it! I hope that helps!
Yes. We DO use auxiliary verbs for affirmative statements - as this sentence demonstrates! If you want to add emphasis to any statement, insist that something is true, contradict something that someone else has said, or simply say something heart-felt, you can use the auxiliary 'do' or 'did'. The first sentence in this answer is a typical example. You expressed some doubt as to whether or not the construction was correct, and I assured you that it was by using the emphatic 'do'.
It's for emphasis. You can put stress on the word 'did' to emphasise.
do is present (presente), did is simple past (preterito imperfeito e preterito perfeito) . I 'm going to write in affirmative and interrogative form that you understand. you like soccer (você gosto de futebol). -Do you like soccer ?(você gosta de futebol?) you liked soccer (você gostava de futebol) - Did you like soccer? (você gostava de futebol?) very simple!!!
Ana Carolina
English, Portuguese