Iris
Are the verbs "pasture" snd "graze" interchangeable? Can I say that? The shepherd is grazing the goats. The shepherd is pasturing the goats. The goats are grazing. The goats are pasturing.
11
0
Not really - "to pasture (animals)" means to put them in a pasture so they may graze. So, the animals do the grazing and the goatherd does the pasturing.
I agree with both the previous answers. "Pasture" can be used as a verb but you will more often see an expression like "The farmer puts his herd out to pasture." At least here in the US, there are few goatherds and we call most people who work the land, whether growing vegetables or raising animals, farmers. I know a few people here in Vermont who raise sheep but it feels archaic to call them shepherds.
To add to Peachey's good answer... "pasture" is primarily a noun, meaning an area of grass or other vegetation that is suitable for livestock to eat.
Off-topic but maybe of interest... There is an idiom, to "put X out to pasture." This literally means to put an animal out in the pasture to graze. However, when a farm animal can no longer work (or give milk or whatever), a farmer may "put the animal out to pasture" meaning that the animal is allowed to live out the rest of its life comfortably grazing in the pasture. Thus, it becomes an idiom for "retirement." A related idiom is "die in harness" or "die in his traces," meaning working to the end... hence, not retiring. Thus somebody might say "I don't ever want to be put out to pasture, I want to die in harness," meaning that "I don't want to retire, I want to keep working until the end." From a song lyric: "But I've heard it said that old cowboys don't die They get put out to pasture way up in the sky."
Iris