Abal
Positions of verbs, adverbs and adjectives. Whenever I want to talk in German with someone, I don't know how to write it down because of the word positioning.For example, how do I say: "On the weekends, I surf at the nearest beach."? Would it be "Am Wochenende, surfe ich am der Nähe Strande gehen"?
3
0
The position of verbs is fixed. Main clause: finite verb in 2nd position. Subclause: finite verb at the very end. Infinitives and participles at the end, in reverse order. Conjunctions don't count. The order of the remaining parts is flexible, but there's a "neutral order" (with somewhat complicated rules). Basic rules, enough for most cases: Nomiantive before dative before accusative, time before manner before place. (In English, it's place before time, so pay attention to that). Whenever you deviate from the natural order, parts of the sentence get emphasized, sometimes to an unnatural degree. Don't use SVO order like in English, don't seperate adverbials with a comma like in English. So: Am Wochenende [1, a bit emphasized] gehe [2] ich [3] am nächsten Strand surfen [L]. Am nächsten Strand [1, strongly emphasized] gehe [2] ich [3] am Wochenende surfen [L]. Ich [1] gehe [2] am Wochende [time] am nächsten Strand [place] surfen [L]. Und [0] am Wochende [1] gehe [2] ... ..., weil ich am Wochende am nächsten Strand surfen [L-1] gehe [L].
Abal
English, French, Japanese, Portuguese
French, Japanese