Jennifer
Professional Teacher
Translation of a sentence from ecoute 10/14 I am currently reading ecoute number 10 from 2014. In the editorial they are talking about elite universities. So there is this sentence: Nous suivîmes, que je visse, que vous moulassiez.... I found out that the first form is the simple past. The verb is to follow - suivre. I found out that visse is an imparfait form of the verb voir. I cannot find the form of the last verb, and the sentence does not make any sense so far. I would translate it as: We followed, that I could see.(and here is a blank) can anyone help me translate this, and get some sense into it
6
0
This sentence doesn't have any meaning. It just use odd tenses that are not used anymore. That's probably to show how these tenses seem odd to us. The subjonctif imparfait is absolutely not used anymore nowadays so you should'nt lost your time to learn it. For the passé simple, it is not very used except in some storry telling and the first and second plural form seem very odd to French speaking peolpe. nous suivîmes - Indicatif passé simple - Suivre que je visse - Subjonctif imparfait - Voir que vous moulassiez - Subjonctif imparfait - Mouler
Oh, looks like it's the imperfect subjunctive of mouler (to mold/mould), i.e. "that you molded."
Jennifer
English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
Italian, Russian