Anna
Can I write 'Nice to meet you' to the person, with whom I communicate through mail? Or is this phrase better to use when you meet person in real life?
5
1
As a native English speaker, I often find this one difficult myself. I very often type it and then delete it again because it sounds a bit "false". "It's great to hear from you". "It's great to be acquainted" (similar to "meet" but without the need of physicality. Perhaps our language hasn't yet developed to meet the needs of our virtual world!! Tom
"Nice to meet you" means a first encounter, and this sounds far more natural in person. What do you think an appropriate phrase would be in an email? :)
Better to use in real life, as you have never actually met the person. Nice to meet you seems to imply that you have physically met them in person.
Sure why not
It's perfectly acceptable in modern English. ))
Anna
English, German, Ukrainian
English, German