John
Can I use Non-defining attributive clauses this way in speaking English? For example, 1. Mr. Smith, for whom I am working, is very generous about overtime payments. 2. Mr. Smith is very generous about overtime payments, for whom I am working. my questions are : 1. is No.2 correct and nature? 2. Are Non-defining attributive clauses commonly used in spoken English ? If not, how to say in another way ? Thank you very much
6
0
1. No, you can't use a non-defining clause like this. It has to go, between commas, immediately after the noun it refers to. 2. These sentences are not especially common (outside of grammar books!) They are rarely used in speech, except in formal situations. In natural, informal speech, native speakers would be more likely to use a fragments like this. "Mr Smith (pause) - the guy I'm working for (slight lengthening of word 'for' and slight pause and change of intonation to show that you're resuming the main part of your sentence) - is really generous about overtime payments" This way of talking is actually very common, but may be difficult for non-natives to get right. Otherwise you can use two separate sentences.
Number 1 is fine but number 2 is wrong. You could say: Mr. Smith is very generous about overtime payments, that's why I am working for him. You could say: Mr. Smith is very generous about overtime payments. I work for him.
John