HyunWook Park
How to use 'feel like' and one more question :) Is it correct to say 'I feel like not going to sleep now'. I know that after 'feel like' the form should be -ing. But if there is 'not' I don't know how to use it. and Is it correct to say ' I have lived in Istanbul for more than a year'. Is 'for' necessary in this sentence? or is it ok without for?.
4
0
1. It makes more sense to make the verb negative: 'I don't feel like going to sleep now' 2. Yes, ' I have lived in Istanbul for more than a year'. is correct, but you could miss out the 'for'. It's fine to say 'I have lived in Istanbul more than a year'. or 'I have lived more than a year in Istanbul.'
'I feel like not going to sleep now' sounds somewhat awkward. 'I don't feel like going to sleep now' is more natural. 'I have lived in Istanbul for more than a year.' The 'for' is necessary in this sentence. However in spoken English it's okay to say 'I've lived in Istanbul more than a year' but as a native speaker, I'd expect something afterwards. For instance 'I've lived in Istanbul more than a year but I still can't speak a word of Turkish.' Hope this helps!
HyunWook Park
English, German, Japanese, Korean
English, German, Japanese