Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase “they were hardly mine to begin with”? I told her it’s time (for burning his diaries), I kept saying that. It is time. I’d been piddling at it, trying for more than a year since we pitched Billy Boorzai into the flames. Better dead than read, I told her. Expecting a fight, but strangely, no fight came. Not even from Violet the defiant, who always insists, Those are your words so claim them, leave your bairns not to be orphaned, you wrote those. She too is defeated. She wanted to do the job herself. Stood at the door watching while I cleared the whole shelf, all the way back to the beginning. She seemed as eager as I was to get it over with, taking our medicine. She went downstairs with the first armload, and I ransacked my desk drawers. Sometimes I’ll type up a day and forget to file it with the others. And letters. I’d long since done away with Frida’s—they were hardly mine to begin with—but the carbons of my own were harder to part with.How would you interpret this phrase “they were hardly mine to begin with” in the second passage? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.Does it mean the words in the Frida’s letters were not mine?
18 июня 2015 г., 2:41
2
0
"hardly" also can mean "barely". Here he is saying he feels as though he never really possessed them, that they always belonged to someone else , mostly likely he feels that spiritually thay were never his.
18 июня 2015 г.
I think he's referring to letters written to Frida, possibly from other people.
18 июня 2015 г.
Wu Ting