Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase “on a tear”? She went downstairs with the first armload, and I ransacked my desk drawers. Sometimes I’ll type up a day and forget to file it with the others. And letters. I’d long since done away with Frida’s—they were hardly mine to begin with—but the carbons of my own were harder to part with. I scooped up all that now, and odd little clippings I’d kept, oh, I was on a tear. By the time she had the fire going in the tar bucket outdoors, I was making a mad sack of the house to see if there were any notebooks I’d missed, hidden from myself like a drunk’s gin bottle tucked in the chandelier. It feels that way sometimes, that desperate. How would you interpret this phrase “on a tear” in the sentence “I scooped up all that now, and odd little clippings I’d kept, oh, I was on a tear”? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
2015년 6월 18일 오전 3:37
3
0
Thank you.
2015년 6월 18일
In addition to Lisa's answer, "on a tear" also can mean on a winning streak or a long run of success.
2015년 6월 18일
"on a tear" means that you are on a mission -it often means that you are angry and you are out to destroy many things! You are in a mood and you are on a tear to stomp on anything or anyone that gets in your way! It means you are really mad and are expressing it!
2015년 6월 18일
Wu Ting