Cyanidefree
Would you learn a foregin friend from your girlfriend? I have an Australian friend who lives with his Taiwanese girlfriend. We regularly do language exchanges, learning Mandarin and English from each other I've always been wondering why my friend needs to learn Mandarin from me instead of asking his girlfriend for this favour. Is this something related to the western culture? Thank you for your answer.
5
0
Maybe his girlfriend simply has no interest in teaching him. It isn't easy to teach someone a foreign language. Better to have two people who are interested in exchanging languages and cultures, than one person who wants to learn and one who is doing it reluctantly and feels put upon by the other person.
I agree with Paul and I would add that he might not want his girlfriend to feel like he is using her just to learn a language. I have bilingual friends, but I choose to go to sites like these for practice because there is a more equal exchange. My friends already know English so I speak it with them out of respect and to show that I value their friendship for them and not the language lessons they can provide. Just another perspective for you--have a nice day!
Cyanidefree
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Shanghainese), English
Chinese (Shanghainese), English