Renzo Sanchez
Writing Production Strategy Hi guys! I've been thinking about how to improve my writing production, but no clue. So today I come across with this doubt: When you try to make a long article, say a letter or a long writing exercise, do you first write the text in your native language and then translate it? Or do you actually start from scratch and write in the new language you are acquiring? Thank you for your replies!
2
0
For writing exercises, I usually just start with an idea or outline and not write it completely in my native language and translate. I do this for two reasons. First, my vocabulary in English will obviously be much deeper than in my target language, and my primary goal in speaking another language is to be able to express myself clearly, not necessary wordsmith the most eloquent words that I can come up with. By avoiding this intermediate, native language writing phase, I'm not detracted from the exercise by trying to figure out more "sophisticated" words that I may not have at my disposal in my target language. Second, by not translating, I am less likely to do word-for-word swapping that ends up forming incoherent sentences because I am applying an English sentence structure to the target language, resulting in really awkward wording. I think this is one of the pitfalls of relying on online translators like Google Translate to form sentences in one's target language.
Renzo Sanchez
Chinese (Shanghainese), English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Russian, Spanish
Chinese (Shanghainese), English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Russian