Brenda
Should I wait to learn about Japanese grammar until I´ve memorized hiragana, katakana and kanji? I've memorized hiragana and katakana, I am starting to study kanji. But I don't know if it would be troublesome if I study grammar rules at the same time... Or would it be better?Sorry, the correct question is "Should I wait to learn about Japanese grammar until I´ve memorized kanji?"
4
0
I think you shoul learn them at the same time. Think about it as about English. At first you learn alfabet, then some basic words, and after that you come to the grammar and tenses. It's good to know a lot of words, but you can't memorize them all at once. And, as I think, you'll memorize some kanjis while reading Japanese sentences and texts (cause you'll see them often).
Depends on how you learn the kanji. If you learn them separated from other things then I would focus on that first. If you learn the kanji by reading, then, since you are already exposed to sentence structures, you might as well take a look at the grammar. But that's the opinion of someone who doesn't like studying grammar :)
From what I've seen so far you don't need kanji at all if your primary goal is for you to speak the language fluently. Knowing kanji would help you understand the written communication but that wouldn't necessarily help you become fluent in Japanese. Since we already have a convenient system called hiragana and katakana for foreign words, it would be best of your interest to just stick with hiragana and katakana instead of spending millions of hours memorizing kanjis. I don't even know a lot of kanjis and I don't think any of my friend or any native japanese person would ever come to know every kanji in japanese because it's such a historical and huge language. You can only take a portion of it and get by because that's what everyone here does:)
It depends on your goal. If you want to actually speak and understand Japanese, you're going to need the grammar. I agree with Youlia; you'll pick up the important kanji as you go.
Brenda
English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish
Korean