lee
how to understand this sentence I read the passages on line:Those who support laws that punish left-lane hogs say that such measures return the roads to order. “Let’s be clear: Speeding remains just as illegal as it has been,” said state representative Jud McMillin, one of the bill’s sponsors. “This is about safety and common courtesy. We should use the roads the way they were designed to be used.” “What’s more dangerous than a speeder on the highway than someone who weaves, or someone who has to come to a dramatic stop,” Ober said. I have never seen two "than"s in one sentence, and I am confused about "than a speeder on the highway than someone who weaves", how to understand "than...than..."? Is it a fixed structure?
4
0
It's not a new structure but the sentence is not perfectly constructed, which is common in spoken English. The sentence would make sense if we understand the speaker as saying this : "What is more dangerous than people who speed or weave on the highway, or someone who has to come to a dramatic stop?" In the original, a comma after "speeder" followed by an "or" would have helped us understand that the speaker is comparing two types of fast dangerous driving (speeding and weaving) with one slow type (dramatically stopping).
lee