Seb
Differences in meaning Hi learners, Can anyone explain the differences between "grasp" and "understand" and between end up and wind up?? Some examples will help me to see the differences. Cheers!!
2
0
"End up" and "wind up" have the same meaning; examples: If he does not stop driving under the influence of alcohol, he is going to wind up having an accident. If you continue to work hard, you might end up with a promotion. "Grasp" and "understand" are similar, but grasp is only used to refer to understanding an idea or information, and must always be followed by a noun or a grade containing a noun, whereas "understand" can stand alone. However, you can always use "undrstand" if you are not sure. I listened to her speech, but I did not fully grasp her meaning. I listened to her speech, but I didn't fully understand her meaning. I explained it to you in my e-mail; did you understand? Hope this helps!
Seb