Pelin
Are both sentences OK? Sometimes, the water out of this tap comes out dirty. Sometimes, the water out of this tap comes out bad.
2
0
Neither are ideal. If you picked one of the two on the SATs as the "most correct", you would be wrong. The comma after "sometimes" is debatable I think, although I would argue it's unnecessary. But the statement would be better made as follows: Sometimes the water that comes from this tap is dirty. Here, we've eliminated the "out of" which is a double-preposition and never ideal. "Bad" isn't very descriptive: does the water come out and hurt people? And we've eliminated "comes out" which is a dangling participle (when saying "comes out", it's ideal to have that answer "comes out of what?" i.e. the water comes out of the tap dirty vs. The water comes out dirty. Of course both get the point across, but just trying to help answer your question.
Sometimes, the water out of this tap comes out dirty. It's not too bad but I would say Sometimes the water comes out dirty from this tap Sometimes the water from this tap comes out dirty Sometimes, the water out of this tap comes out bad. It's not too good, I would say Sometimes the water comes out badly from this tap Sometimes the water from this tap comes out badly (Low water pressure, air in the water, bursts of water etc.)
Pelin
English, Turkish