Alaa
Says vs Said ? Hello All, I was reading an article and I found the following sentences: 1)Jerry Seinfeld says comedians avoid college gigs, students are 'so PC' 2)Seinfeld said. “I don’t play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me don’t go near colleges — they’re so PC (politically correct).” I studied the verb tenses and I understand the difference between the simple past and simple present: does the first sentence implies that he says this frequently, and the second one is talking about a specific event? what is the difference between them? Thank you in advance!
2
0
The first sentence is clearly "headline English", judging by the grammar. Anyway, "Jerry Seinfeld says..." means "Jerry Seinfeld's opinion is that...", in this example. It doesn't mean he habitually opens his mouth to literally say it. From a grammatical perspective, you could also understand the headline as presenting a fact (=use present simple). You're right about the second sentence - it's a report of a specific event in the past, and Seinfeld's exact words.
Alaa
Arabic, English