Patty1219
some doubts One of the links in the chain which DRIVES the wheels had snapped Q: Wasn't it supposed to be like "drived"? Could u elaborberate on that with some examples? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Does "fellow workers mean "workmates" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- He told her wife he worked for the Corporation AND NO MORE I failed to get and no more --------------------------------------------------------- 1. His earning is only half the amount THEY used to be I thought "they"was supposed to be like "it"
6
0
One of the links in the chain which DRIVES the wheels had snapped Q: Wasn't it supposed to be like "drived"? Could u elaborberate on that with some examples? A: In this case (situation) we use the present tense of the verb "drive". "chain" is a noun, therefore it is third person and requires the third person verb form. The verb is present tense because it is describing something (an action) that happens all the time, is a permanent situation, or is something that happens regularly or all the time, for example: - Water boils at 100° Celsius. - I play tennis every Wednesday. - He drives the bus 5 days per week - Alice works for a big company. - The car's motor makes the wheels move. - The chain drives (makes something move) the wheels. Q: Does "fellow workers mean "workmates" A: Yes, it means workmates, but we usually use the terms "co-workers or colleagues" Q: He told her wife he worked for the Corporation AND NO MORE I failed to get and no more A: There is a problem with this sentence: "he told HER wife...". "her" is a female, so usually a female does not have a wife (unless there are two lesbian women who are married). So, the sentence should be "He told HIS wife...." A: "no more" means that he said 'only one thing' and did not say more than that / did not say anything more / did not say anything else. Q: His earning is only half the amount THEY used to be. I thought "they"was supposed to be like "it" A: You are right, "earnings" is a noun so we use the third person form of the verb (subject-verb agreement), but "earnings" is plural, so we use the plural form of the preposition it = they. So, the sentence should be "His earnings ARE only half the amount THEY used to be." Wow... I worked hard for you :) You should send me 3 RMB :)... I am just kidding, just joking.
the chain which drives the wheels...like a bike chain. When the chain is moved, it makes the wheels turn. The term "to drive" can be used in different ways with this meaning. "My love for my family drives me to work hard to provide for their needs." "His desire for good grades drove him to study every night." "His complete loss of hope drove him to commit suicide." One thing makes something else happen, etc., it drives it. Fellow workers are workmates, yes. He worked for the corporation and no more. He didn't do anything else in relation to the corporation. He didn't own it, or start it. Depending on the context, it could also mean that he was not doing any other activities outside of working for the corporation. His earnings are only half the amount they used to be. Earning should be plural, earnings. Or it could be written, "he is earning only half the amount he used to make."
Eva - your source material is very odd, and there are several mistakes in the 3rd and 4th example sentences. They have not been written by native English-speakers. I don't recommend you work with this material.
I just noticed that that last question uses the word "earning", however we always use "earnings" and 'earning (singular)' is incorrect, so that's why I said 'earnings' and 'they'.
These sentences are incorrect and were most probably not written by a Native Speaker. You are quite right to have doubts!
Patty1219