kathy
What's the difference between "Philanthropy`" and "Charity"? Thanks!
2
0
They both have a similar meaning, which is to give time or money to help others. But the word "philanthropy" is usually only used for larger gifts given by the wealthy. For example, if a CEO pay to have another branch added to the library, it would usually be called philanthropy. Or the work that Bill Gates does to feed the hungry is often called philanthropy. This means that Bill Gates could be called a philanthropist When I was younger and people asked me what i wanted to be when I grew up, I would always make a joke by saying that I wanted to be a philanthropist. (meaning I wanted to be rich enough to give large sums of money to charities. :) )
"Charity" is when individuals donate money, and "philanthropy" is when businesses or foundations donate much more money. If a very rich individual donates, then it's also called "philanthropy" and s/he is given the title "philanthropist."
kathy