Eric
What books/programs should I invest in to help with my learning Japanese? The school I went to offered a book called Genki that I was using but never finished, I was studying alone so I probably picked up some bad habits. I found the Genki 1 &2 books for reasonable price and I have Hiragana and Katakana flashcards for drilling but I am completely lost as to what I should do to learn Kanji. Any help would be welcome and useful, Thank you for your time!
2
0
Well as David said "Remembering the Kanji" is great. I started out learning japanese from koichi on textfugu, it is a bit expensive, but its really amazing and i guarentee you learn a lot, not only kanji but also grammar and vocab. He is quite fun at times as well and writes about how to study as well, how to get good habbits. I have only good things to say about textfugu, i learned a lot. Maybe it can halp you too :)
Remembering the Kanji by James Heisig is a very popular book, and the best if your goal is to be fluent in japanese. It is a very unorthodox method, and if you want to be able to use what you learned right away, i wouldn't recommend this book. However, I learned with this book, and it has made reading and writing kanji my strongest part in the japanese language (i'm jlpt N2 level). But it only gives you benefits if you work with it for a long time.
Eric
Japanese