Wu Ting
How would you interpret the phrase “communist longhairs or fairies” in the last passage? “Summer Reading” is upon us, but so far not one review of The Unforetold. Sales nil, reports Barnes; the bookstores have not really picked it up so much as others on the list. A whisper campaign, he was afraid of that. I just hope we won’t be sorry about this. He needs to hire some of those scientists. Our studies show Harrison Shepherd provides a happier reader, 14 percent faster to achieve the racing pulse. This morning I found an advertisement for a condensed-book series: regular books with all the unnecessary parts cut out, to get it over faster. “Dr. George Gallup recently revealed in his polls, an astonishingly high percentage of the nation’s university graduates no longer read books. The reason is obvious: because of their educational advantages, they occupy positions where they are busy, busy, busy always!”I’ll tell Barnes that must be it. Not a whisper campaign, no Communist longhairs or fairies about, everyone’s just too busy. How would you interpret the phrase “communist longhairs or fairies” in the last passage? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
23 de jun de 2015 1:39
1
0
I can answer this without seeing further context. Communist longhairs = American "hippies" (research that term if you don't understand it.) Fairies = A derogatory slang term for homosexual men. It isn't as common in modern times.
23 de Junio de 2015
Wu Ting