Gil-seop
"got" VS "gotten" as the past participle form of "get" My dictionary has both "got" and "gotten" as the past participle form of "get". So I wrote "Since I'd never got any postcard...." but my correcter changed "got" into "gotten". I told her that my dictionary has both as the past participle form of "get". She said, "That's interesting. I've definitely heard people say "got" but I assumed it was a more colloquial version of "gotten." Maybe I've just been around people who speak strangely and that's why I say "gotten"! But if they are both in your dictionary, then you can probably use either one." If I exactly understand her comment, she respects my dictionary but think that using "got" is strange. Right? Do you agree with her?
23 de jun de 2015 13:58
7
0
I take it she was from the US or Canada. 'Gotten' is the favoured choice in US English, with 'got' favoured in British English. We don't use 'gotten' very often in the UK outside of certain set expressions such as 'ill-gotten gains'. http://grammarist.com/usage/got-gotten/
23 de Junio de 2015
Both would be correct, but sound strange. "Had gotten" is more common in the US than in Britain. But its use in the US is decreasing. I think most modern US speakers would say "Since I never got a postcard..." or "Since I never got any postcards..." - note the plural with "any".
24 de Junio de 2015
I have gotten it. = I have received it. I have got it = I have it.
23 de Junio de 2015
Gil-seop