Wu Ting
How would you interpret the first two sentences? The terrible concert in Peekskill, that was Robeson. Workingman’s songs and Negro spirituals and concertgoers beaten bloody afterward. Just one road leading out of the place—how trapped those families must have felt, with throngs of armed police and citizens waiting at the roadsides to hurl rocks at their buses. Hands pressed flat against the windows, automobiles overturned, families dragged out and beaten, no matter their color. It’s here in Life Magazine, photo and caption: “In scheduling the concert the party-liners had hoped for just such a chance to become propaganda martyrs, so there was a tendency to conclude that ‘they asked for it.’ The Communists got more help from the hoodlums who stoned the buses than they did from their own fellow travelers.”How would you interpret the first two sentences? 1# As for the first sentence, I guess Robeson was performing at that concert, right? I tried some researching but didn’t find any reference to that incident. 2# As for the second sentence, I guess it means there were Workingman’s songs and Negro spirituals being performed at the time and concertgoers were beaten after the concert was over, right? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
4
0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peekskill_riots Let me know if you can access this page. If not, I'll copy and paste what it says.
Wu Ting