sherry
tightly woven net of dependency They had long been wrapped in a tightly woven net of dependency. what does it mean?
2
0
It's literary English, not ordinary everyday English. It is a metaphor. Each "dependency" is like a connecting thread. For example, I bring my wife coffee every morning. She depends on me for her morning coffee. This is a connecting thread. Of course she knows how to make coffee herself, but she is used to having me make it. A lot of these connecting threads can become like a net. "Wrapped in a tightly woven net of dependency" sounds like a bad thing. There is too much dependency. It has become a kind of trap, like a fishing net.
To me, it essentially means that 'they were very dependent, and the person who they were dependent on had intentionally made it that way". Its not a common expression though.
sherry