Diletta
I speak very little English . What are the first things I could do to learn it ?
7
1
As a native English speaker, this was the way I was taught to learn English as a child: 1. The alphabet 2. Phonics -- the way words and letters are pronounced 3. Vocabulary -- words and their definitions (especially nouns, verbs, and adjectives) 4. Grammar -- sentences, sayings, and the way words are put together in a sentence 5. Conjugation -- the way words are changed to describe tense, amount, etc. That is the basic way that I was taught English. Of course, it is always good to continue studying all of those things (I am a native English speaker and I still do not know it all!), but these are just the basic steps. Also, I would recommend reading books in English, writing in English, and trying to watch movies or listen to songs in English. The last two can be difficult, as English shows and songs have people that speak really quickly, but I am sure that you can find some to suit your needs! Hope that helped!!! ^^
Hi Diletta , Watching English movies actually improves your oral communication. I have noticed the difference personally and I have heard people telling me that this works. It is the easier, effective, and a quick way to speak English well. 1. Watch one English movie over and over again until you understand the meaning and pronunciation of the words that they have used. 2. Repeat each and every dialogues in the movie. 3. Try to use/practice those dialogues with your friends or family. Just give it a try :)
As already mentioned, watching movies or better yet, Tv series that you really enjoy; you immerse yourself in them automatically. You can start writing down the words and the phrases that you are able to catch. Have a notebook, pile them up and look at them often. This way you transfer them from short memory to long term memory every time your eyes see them and your mouth repeat them The visual element of the medium helps you assign emotions to the things you have written.
Diletta
English, Italian