Armando
Soccer or Football Why in USA you use the word soccer to describe the sport you play with your foot and football to describe sport you play with hands? What is the origin of word soccer?
2015年6月25日 16:59
11
1
I think American football derives from rugby football (now just called rugby), in which both hands and feet are used. Over time, it looks like the use of the foot disappeared from American football but the name remained. I'm sure that an American could tell you more. It's just about all I know about American football, which is otherwise a complete mystery to me!
2015年6月25日
There are many kinds of football, including: -Soccer -Rugby Union -Rugby League -Gaelic Football -AFL (Australian Football League) -Gridiron (American Football) All of these sports include the word "football" in their official title. Wxactly what sport someone is talking about when they say "football" depends on the city, age of that person and the season. Don't believe anyone who tells you "football" only refers to one specific sport
2015年6月25日
In England, I am told, they play or used to play two kinds of football: "Rugby football" or "rugger" and "Association football" or "soccer." In the United States, we play variations of both games, but, for whatever historical reasons, Rugby football became so much more popular than soccer that to us, it is just "football." We didn't need to call it "Rugby football" because it was the almost the only kind of "football" there was. When I was in high school during the 1960s, the high school football team was very important--the most important of all school teams. They played against other teams and marched onto the field with the high school band playing the "fight song" and all the rest of it. There was no soccer team at all. One of the coaches started to offer informal after-school soccer games. The teams were picked from whomever showed up. The school didn't have any real soccer balls, so we played with red rubber playground balls. That shows you the difference in popularity between "football" and "soccer" back then. Soccer is much more popular today, and with our respectable showing in the Olympics it will probably become even more popular, but it's still not one of the "big" sports.
2015年6月25日
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football
2015年6月25日
Some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_for_association_football
2015年6月25日
Armando
English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
English, French, Italian, Spanish