Ruthi
Do you sometimes get a little upset? Hi Everyone, Just a quick question to the community. I usually enjoy coming here and helping students, answering questions and correcting work. However, yesterday I got a very rude reply from a student, after answering a question for her. Most students on italki are very nice and thank me for helping them. This particular student gave me a rude answer to my comment and told me not to ever correct her work again. I was wondering how you would react to that? I mean, I correct work in my free time and I am just trying to help students. I gave her a brief answer because I was rather busy. Would it be better for me not to reply in such a situation? Have you ever felt upset because of someone here on italki?
25
0
Hi Ruthi I do sympathise. I was surprised and annoyed to see this comment yesterday on one of my answers: "Never answer my question any more. You are not helping" I wonder if you received this comment from the same member? My initial reaction was the same as yours, but then I began to wonder whether I'd misinterpreted the member's intention. It was added to a reply, already awarded a 'best answer', from back at the beginning of March. As far as I can remember, I hadn't offered any responses to any of this member's queries since that then. So might this simply be a comment that I hadn't been answering her questions? Might she have meant 'Never answer my questions again' as a statement, not an imperative? It would be still odd, and borderline rude, to complain in this way, but not quite as offensive as it might appear. What do you think?
Hi Ruthi, Unfortunately this happens, but thankfully rarely. It reminds me of another member who thanked me publicly for my answer, then wrote me a long and hateful message calling me rude, and telling me to never help him again. It wasn't the first time I'd seen a petty and selfish retort on italki, so I added that member to my mental "don't help, don't communicate" list, and moved on. Your answer to her question was perfectly appropriate (as was Su.Ki.'s), but it's clear she expected a different answer, in spite of not indicating that at all. I'm a little surprised that a learner who's still trying to come to grips with another language can get such fixed ideas in her head. Still, that's not our problem! :)
Hi, Ruthi, don’t get upset by a rude person, because many members on italki are grateful to you, including me. Thanks for helping time and again.
It's rude but you can only back off and never help them again, that would be a good course. Even block them so you don't accidentally interact with them again
I have not encountered that situaton before. I think giving answers to the community is good but I will not do that again if someone is not respecting my efforts.
Ruthi
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Hebrew, Spanish