Mun Hwan
Counting nouns Hi, I was talking to my friend about a trip to Tartu and asked her: how can I buy a ticket to Tartu? If I were to ask this question on behalf of several people, should I say: How can you buy tickets to Tartu? I have a trouble determining a singular or plural form of a noun at times. What is the difference among these sentences and which one is to be used when I mean a general fact that "writer writes book" (In my native tongue, we do not specify the noun's plurality unless it is essential. 1)Writers write books. 2)Writers write a book. 3) A writer writes a book. 4) A writer writes books.
2
0
Yeah, for a group you'd say "how can you buy tickets". And for the bottom question, 1 and 4 would work if you're talking generally.
I believe you are correct, you would say 'how can I buy tickets to Tartu'? This would be plural because you intend to purchase more than one ticket since there are multiple people. When you say 'how can I buy a ticket' it implies that you only need one (a) ticket for yourself or another person. For the last part: 1) multiple writers write multiple books 2) multiple writers write one book 3) one writer writes one book 4) one writer writes multiple books The one you would use for a general fact would be #1 because it sugests that all writers write books and since there are multiple books that have been and are still being written, it is plural too. I hope that answered your question!
Mun Hwan
English, French, German, Korean, Latvian, Luxembourgish, Polish, Russian
English, French, German, Latvian