Jacqulyn
Why use the "a" after the Spanish verb presento? I was given this sentence to translate: Yo presento a mi capitán. Why use the "a" when the translation is "I present my captain"? Is it because the thought is I present my captain (to someone)? .
10
0
Larry is right, it's the personal "a". It's used to introduce the Direct Object of a sentence when this object refers to an individual, a group of people or a pet. There are lots of other rules and exceptions, but this is the basic rule. For example: Obedezco las reglas (I obey the rules). Obedezco A mi padre (I obey my father). ¿Has visto esta película? (Have you watched this movie?). ¿Has visto A Marta? (Have you seen Marta?). I hope it helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
It is the personal "a" used in Spanish. It has no English equivilent. Look up using the personal A in Spanish. Exery verb leading to an indiviudual, group or even a family pet requires this personal A.
Without the "a" it will be "Yo presento, mi capitán" that stands "I'll present, my captain". The "a" is for introduce the thing or person you are going to name. Another less formal way to say "Yo presento a mi Capitán" is "Yo presento al Capitan".
Hello "a" in spanish is a preposition; In your sentence "a" indicates who or what receives the verb's action.
Hello everyone! Just to make sure the meaning of the sentence is clear: I'd note that "Yo presento" usually translates as "I introduce" (that is, when you introduce a person to somebody else by telling them his/her name). I hope this help!
Jacqulyn
Spanish