Jessica
どうして。なんで。 What is the difference between どうして and なんで/なぜ? as when it is translated into English both come out as 'why'? Which word is used for which situation? Thank you in advance! ありがとうございます。 ps。if someone can tell me how to say 'what is the difference between ______ and _______? ' I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
7
1
The difference between then is the formalityof speech or the type of use. なぜ is formal and used in the formal conversations and in writing. どうして is more casual then なぜ, and some text books teach as the translation for "why...?". なんで is very casual and colloquial. In everyday conversation, we use どうして and なんで very often. For "what is the difference between A and B?", I would say: A と B の違い[ちがい]はなんですか。 I hope this helps you.
That's an interesting question:) It's difficult to explain the differences in nuance among them... I can't think of any examples, but I hope someone can clear up your question!!
Jessica
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese
Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, Korean, Portuguese