Bunch
"Going up?" "Yes, thank you." in an elevator. In a certain movie, a man was waiting for an elevator. The doors opened and there was another man standing in the elevator. He asked "Going up?" to the man as he entered in. Then, the another man said "Yes, thank you." I don't see why this man in the elevator answered "thank you" to the man who asks "Going up?" Is this natural to you? He just wondered whether this elevator was going up or down, right? Asking those questions in an elevator is supposed to be grateful for?
3
0
I agree with the comments above.
"Going up?" is common phrasing for this context. It just means "Are you going up?" or "Do you want to go up?". "Yes, thank you" doesn't sound too strange to me. He is just saying "Yes, I am. Thank you for helping me."
Was this an older movie, maybe in black & white, and was the first man an elevator operator (wearing a uniform)? If so, he may be controlling the elevator, in which case the second man is thanking him for pushing the right button/moving the lever to send the elevator upwards. Otherwise, the second man is just being polite by thanking the man.
Bunch
English, Japanese, Korean