Community Web Version Now Available
★the British and England. Our English teacher(She's a Chinese and has been teaching English many years) tells us the world "England" sometimes can mean "the British", because it's a big part of the UK. Is it true? No? Also, "English" can mean "Englishmen and Englishwomen", can't it? But I still remember since a good member form the UK correct me, she says that English ≠Englishmen & Englishwomen...
28 июня 2015 г., 13:25
Answers · 6
Here are key differences between Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and England. Great Britain is an island that consists of three somewhat autonomous regions that include England, Scotland, and Wales. The United Kingdom is a country that includes England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. England is a country. So it is not really the same. Somebody who is English is also British but somebody who is British doesn't have to be English, s/he can be Scottish. Some people find it offensive if you call them English just because they live in GB but in fact they are Scottish. I hope it helps :)
28 июня 2015 г.
'English' is the nationality and England' is the country, so England isn't interchangeable with 'the British'. England is one of the three countries that make up the island of Great Britain, The other two countries are Scotland and Wales. England is the biggest of the three countries by land mass, and by far the biggest in terms of population. The situation is further confused because the three countries of Great Britain + Northern Ireland form a sovereign state, the United Kingdom. I've often heard foreigners say British/Britain when they actually mean English/England. You often hear people say that they like the 'British accent', when what they nearly always actually mean is they like a certain type of English accent. People from the UK will tend to specify which part they are from, i.e. that they are English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish. If someone asked me about my nationality, I would say that I am English even though I am British as well, because England is part of Great Britain. I believe what your friend meant was that English is an adjective and can be applied to other things other than just people i.e. English food, English culture, English customs. But 'the English' by itself refers to any person from England. Englishmen and Englishwomen are more specific terms, referring to the sex of the person from England
28 июня 2015 г.
I´m not british so I don´t know if I can help you. But I´ll try. Yes, as I see it sometimes when you say England you mean the UK, and sometimes when you say UK you refer mainly to England. This is because the United Kingdom is a union of countries that work as an only country (as far as I know) and England it´s the biggest and most important part. However, when you say "the british" you are referring to all the people of the UK not only english people. And about the second question I don´t really know so I can´t help you.
28 июня 2015 г.
Language Skills
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, German
Learning Language
Arabic, English