Victoria Tran
Please help me with these Subjunctives sentences I've just been introduced to this type of sentences, however, some of them really make me confused, please help me! 2. They ______dogs. They don't like cats. A. would rather B. prefer C. would prefer D. All are right (I think the correct answer is B, right?) 5. Usually people ______warm weather. A. would love B. would like C. would rather D. prefer (I think the correct answer is D, right?) 6. I ______buy the blue shirt. A. would rather B. prefer C. would like D. would prefer(I think the correct answer is A, right?) 8. I ______ have the meeting at 6 pm. A. like B. love C. would rather D. prefer(I think the correct answer is C, right?) 9. Normally, we ______going to the beach. A. would rather B. prefer C. would like D. would prefer(I think the correct answer is B, right?)
5
0
Victoria- Your answers are correct.... but in most cases other answers might be correct. It depends on the context. "They prefer dogs" Correct as a statement of fact "If they had pets, they would prefer dogs." Correct using the Subjunctive
If this is an actual test or assignment that you have been given, it is ambiguous, as Sven notes. I agree that the answers you have given are generally the best choice, but the following answers are all possible, depending on context: 2. B or C 5. A, B, or D 6. A 8. C 9. B, C, or D (though as Peachey notes, C and D sound indirect). All the other possible answers are simply incorrect.
Yes, I agree with your thoughts. The basic pattern is "prefer (noun)" and "would rather (verb)". Gerunds such as "going" follow "prefer". "Would prefer" is possible, but usually far too indirect; the best thing to do is choose the clearest and most definite answer.
Victoria Tran
English, Vietnamese