Bi Filof
How many of these idioms are frequently used? Hi! I'm learning some idioms, but I was wondering which of them are more used in English. I mean, if you've ever used or heard any of them. Thank you. :) 1-To have a sweet tooth. 2-To have a heart of gold. 3-To have a good head on one's shoulders. 4-To have one's hands full. 5-To have eyes in the back of one's head. 6-To have a big mouth. 7-To have a green thumb. 8-To have one's head in the clouds.
28. Juni 2015 19:29
10
2
They are all common in the UK, with the exception of number 7 which I am not familiar with, although the equivalent UK saying is also common. 1-To have a sweet tooth. To describe someone who likes sweets, cakes and sweet things in general. 2-To have a heart of gold. To describe someone who has a good underlying personality. 3-To have a good head on one's shoulders. To describe someone who is well-adjusted and not likely to get carried away by success, or dragged down by bad news. 4-To have one's hands full. Said when you have many things to do, or problems to resolve. 5-To have eyes in the back of one's head. Can be said about people who notice things a lot, or by people who are inattentive/who have been asked to look for something difficult about something that would be useful to them. 6-To have a big mouth. Said when someone says inappropriate things, or things at an inappropriate time. Very common, although a bit rude. 7-To have a green thumb.? Maybe something to with gardening? I think it must be American. If that is the meaning, in the UK we would say 'to have green fingers'. 8-To have one's head in the clouds. To daydream/be unaware of something. If you have any doubts about the usage feel free to ask.
28. Juni 2015
Those are all reasonably common idioms that you can use in appropriate contexts.
28. Juni 2015
In my experience as a U.S. native speaker, these are all legitimate idioms, and frequently used when the proper occasion arises. #5 is typically used by teachers or mothers who tell children, "Don't think you can get away with anything, I have eyes in the back of my head." When I was a kid, I was in the back yard playing with the garden hose, spraying water for the fun of it. My mother told me to stop. She went back in the house. I couldn't see here, so I turned the water on again, not realizing that it is easy to hear the flow of water from inside the house. She stuck her head out the window and shouted "I told you to stop!" I was amazed and said "How do you know?" She said "I have eyes in the back of my head!"
28. Juni 2015
Hi! I'm JR in New York and I'm happy to help you improve your spoken English! If you need help, please add me / respond back! Hope to chat soon and become great friends! Add me on QQ International at: 1990992857 or ooVoo at: 6214337481
30. Juni 2015
These are all very familiar to me. Remember that there are hundreds of idioms, so the best you can do is get to know them as best you can. Don't reject any because you think they are "uncommon".
28. Juni 2015
Bi Filof
English, French, Romanian, Spanish