Sunny
I want to know how to use the following words correctly I want to know how to use them correctly: 1. wish and hope 2.sup and supper 3.error. wrong and mistake
5
2
Supper (noun): usually the biggest meal of the day / usually eaten after we have worked. verb Sup (verb) (sups, supping, supped): to eat food or to drink something: e.g., Last night we supped on seafood delicacies. e.g., He spends most of his evenings in the pub, supping beer. The verb "sup" is an old British verb and is not used in other English speaking countries. Medical: short-form (abbreviation) for the word "supplement".
In the study and science of languages, a.k.a. (also known as) linguistics, the nouns "error" and "mistake" ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE and DO NOT have the same meanings and usages. In linguistics, it is considered important to distinguish errors from mistakes. An "error" is seen as resulting from a learner's lack of proper language knowledge. In other words, the learner did not know the correct way. Errors may occur repeatedly and are not recognizable by the learner. Errors are a part of the learner's lack of understanding, and the learner does not generally consider them as errors. They are errors only from teachers' and others native speakers' perspectives. Errors cannot be self-corrected, because the learner does not know or recognize the problem. A "mistake" occurs when the person fails to utilize a known system correctly. In other words, a native language speaker, who knows the rules, makes an incorrect statement, such as incorrect grammar. Such mistakes are generally made by both the native speakers and second language learners. However, native speakers are generally able to correct themselves quickly. Such mistakes include slip of the tongue, random ungrammatical formations. Mistakes can be self-corrected with or without being pointed out to the speaker. Examples If a native English speaker says or writes, "I read many informations today". This is a mistake because the native speaker knows that "information" is an uncountable/non-countable noun, and therefore does not have or use a plural form. However, if an English language learner says or writes, "I read many informations today", they have simply made an error, not a mistake, because they may not have yet learned that the noun "information" is uncountable.
WISH AND HOPE In terms of meaning, hope and wish are very close to each other. However, ‘hope’ suggests more probability. Use ‘hope’ when there is hope (a chance / it’s possible) for something to happen. Use ‘wish’ in situations, which are imagined, impossible or hypothetical. There is no negative meaning attached to ‘wish’, and no positive meaning attached to ‘hope’. However, when we say: “I wish you were here” we are primarily expressing a wish, a desire. Whereas when we say: “I hope you will be here” we are expressing an expectation. We say “I hope” because we know or feel that there is a good chance that “you will be here.” In other words, it is quite possible that “you will be here”, hence the verb “hope”. Hope for something which is possible and probable. Wish for something which is not likely to happen or something which is impossible. It is possible to say: I wish I could grow wings and fly. However, it would make no sense to hope for those wings to grow because everyone knows that you will not grow wings. So we would not say: “I hope I will grow wings and fly.” We use 'hope' to express a wish/desire/aspiration that has a good chance of being true. • I hope you will be successful. • We hope the phone lines are clear next Saturday. • We all hope that we will find happiness. • We hope the weather will be good tomorrow. We use 'wish' to express a hope/desire/aspiration that seems to be unlikely (i.e. not much chance or even zero chance) • I wish I were taller. • We wish the phone lines were always clear. • You wish you were richer. • Everyone wishes for world peace.
Sunny
Chinese (Mandarin), Dutch, English, Thai