Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase “widow display”? Mrs. Brown went to the bookstore to have a look. She did not want to go, and did not want to tell me about it when she came back. So help me God, I pressed her into spying for me. They’ve made a “Ban Harrison Shepherd” window display. I’m not alone; they’ve found a pile of other books written by Communists. The sign asks, “Would you buy a book if you knew your money was going to the Communist Party?” Under the question were two boxes marked “Yes” and “No,” with a cup of pencils handy for the plebiscite. How would you interpret this phrase “widow display”? Does it mean they posted a sign titled with “Ban Harrison Shepherd” on the show window of the bookstore? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
3
0
Does it mean they posted a sign titled with “Ban Harrison Shepherd” on the show window of the bookstore? - Yes, there is a display in the shop window (the part of the shop on the inside that is used for showing items to people outside looking in). I assume you mean window display and not widow display. That would be something else entirely ;-)
Wu Ting