Olesya
What is preferable 'I like_gerund (= verb_ing)' or 'I like_infinitive (= to_verb)? For example, 'I like riding a bicycle' or 'I like to ride a bicycle'.
The meaning is not always the same. 1. If you are learning British English, you should use a gerund after 'like' if you are talking about something you enjoy. For example: 'What do you like doing in your free time?' 'I like riding my bike.' 2. 'Like to' may have a slightly different meaning. It can suggest that this is something that you think is beneficial rather than enjoyable. For example: 'I like to ride my bike to work. It's tiring, and not very pleasant in bad weather, but I need the exercise.'
If you plan to describe what you like to do, use gerund. But watch out, since these examples you mention sound a bit unnatural. try "I like bicycle riding" or "I like cooking" etc. Я надеюсь, что это помогает
Olesya
English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian
English, French, Spanish, Ukrainian