Kaori
How to answer to "How Are You?" Many people say 'how are you?' at first contact. I always confuse to answer this questions. Because of my small vocabulary,I don't come up with best answer to express how am I. So please teach me good phrase which I can use.
You are not expected to answer this with any specifics, it is a ritual greeting. "Very well, thank you!" is a formal, polite reply. You can append "And you?" to show interest in the other person, and continue the conversation. "Fine, thanks" is a very common reply (just like 元気です). You'd say this to anyone when you don't actually want to continue the conversation, like to a waiter in a restaurant. You can vary the response depending on who you're talking to, and how thrilled you are to be talking to them. "Great! How are you doing?" is a very enthusiastic response, and asking the person how they are shows that you're eager to continue the conversation. Normally you're supposed to answer in a positive way, but that too can be varied depending on your relationship. "I'm hanging in there." -- you might say this to a coworker; it indicates that you're having a rough day. "I've been better." is what you can say to a friend or acquaintance when you want to tell them why you're not having a good day; it indirectly invites a question from them asking you what's wrong.
I'm fine,thinks,and you?
The answer to "how are you" is very very simple. Fine. Saying "Fine" is like saying 元気です. p1: How are you? you: Fine p1: お元気ですか you:元気です
"I'm doing well, thanks! And you?" "Not so good..." "I'm alright." Depends on how you are actually feeling, of course.
I am fine... and you??? Hi,,,
Kaori
English, French, Japanese