- always learn phrasal verbs IN CONTEXT
- notice EXACTLY how native speakers use phrasal verbs
- when you hear a native speaker using a phrasal verb, learn the COMPLETE SENTENCE - not just the phrasal verb in isolation
- try to find Spanish translations for phrasal verbs
- write down lists of phrasal verbs with their 'meanings'
It is very important to understand the contexts in which we use phrasal verbs, and to learn exactly how they fit into sentences. You cannot just drop a phrasal verb into a sentence in the same way as you can use an ordinary one-word verb. Some phrasal verbs are only used in specific contexts. Some are transitive, some are intransitive. Some are separable, some are inseparable.