mery
when do you use the past participle in English??
A past particple is used to express an action (the verb) that has already taken place...a past action. Example: "I answered your question." ~adding "ed" to the verb "answer" expresses that the action is completed or is in the past. I (noun) answer (verb) anwerED (past particle) question (subject) Example of Present particle: I am answering your question. Example of Past particle: I answered your question. Example: Future particle: I will answer your question Hope this helps. ^_^
Sorry about that. Past Participles: (have) laid, (have) lain = lay set, sat = sit got, gotten = get raised, rose, risen = raise forgotton = forget
Sorry, AJ, but the verb form in "I answered your question" is not a past participle. Also, their is a consensus among grammarians that English does not have a future participle.
It is used like participles in other languages, do not know is such in your native or not, but I hope it will not be hard for you.
It is widely used in perfect tenses, in passive voice and also separately. Used, followed, given - these are some examples. I turn on computer used mostly by my brother - used here is past participle. I read book written in english - here is written.
mery
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
English, French, German, Italian