Christian
In 30 minutes In English, if I say:" In 30 minutes I will make a cake" it means that when 30 minutes are passed, I will make a cake. In Italian we say:" tra 30 minuti.... " In Italian, if I say :" in 30 minuti farò una torta" it means that I will spend 30 minutes to make the cake. How can I say in English this last sentence, please? Thank you
Confusingly, if you say 'I'll make cake in 30 minutes' it can have both meanings. It can mean that I'll start making it in 30 minutes from now ( 'tra 30 minuti') , or it can mean that it'll only take me 30 minutes to make it ( 'in 30 minuti'). This might seem odd when you see it written down, but in reality there is never actually any confusion. The stress, intonation and other non-linguistic features of the way you'd say this would be different, and so the meaning would always be clear.
Su Ki is correct. I would like to add that there are additional options, which I sometimes use, especially when speaking with non natives: it takes me 30 minutes to make a pizza. -- in 30 minuti " I will make a pizza 30 minutes from now" -- tra 30 minuti. Notice that English usually uses a future tense for this.
Christian
English, Italian