romulus
Which is which? I've been watching chinese shows since I started learning chinese. Most of it, features a chinese character caption written below the tv screen. I just wonder if those characters are written in Mandarin or Cantonese or other chinese dialects. Anyway, is there a difference between Mandarin & Canotonese characters? Are there any similarities? Please enlighten me. Thank you.
mandarin use simple chinese, cantonese use traditional chinese. some of them look the same, some are far different. even some chinese don't understand cantonese without learning. wish u all good!
Chinese character is universally used in both Mandarin & Cantonese, also used in Wunese, Minnanese & Hakka. But some characters, which are only used in Cantonese, won't be found out in Mandarin or other Chinese languages. I mean, if you could master Chinese characters as many as possible, it would be of great help for you to learn Mandarin & Cantonese. It's just like that, for example, you know the number from 1 to 10, Maybe 1-5 are often used in Mandarin, but 6-7 often used in Cantonese, 8-9 in Minnanses, & 10 in Wunese.
For example: 呢 means "this", 呢度 means "here", & "this place" in Cantonese. But in Mandarin, 呢 is only a modal word which expresses the mood of sentences. Could you understand what I said?
While learning Cantonese, you'll probably find that, there're a lot of characters which usually have a "口" in the left, such as “哋、啲、呢、咩、嘅、叻” ......(not used in Mandarin), & as well as some characters which are not used very often in Mandarin.
BTW, I suggest you learn Simplified characters, because it's easier for foreign learners.