Ziyi
About Chinese tourist/students in western countries. I heard a lot from media that some tourists and students in western countries did many stupid things. And they spoil the reputation of Chinese, what they have done set barriers to those who really want to learn something or pay a visit in western countries. Is that true? What do you think of it? By the way, I hate those people, they are shameless.
Haven't really heard anything about it...And it seems most Chinese students at my university are okay. It's just hard to get to know them because they tend to hang out together instead of with the other students. Although that could be due to the attitude of some Dutch students as well of course. Anyway, the folks I know at the Chinese Student Association here are really nice and I haven't seen anything weird/shameless/embarassing.
anushka, Japanese and Chinese look alike but totally act differently. so it could not be the answer. and Frank, why only Western? Chinese people are all around the world.
Um, in my experiences working as a marine biology guide and running the introduction desk at a oceanside ecology center, Asian tourists (I think they might have mostly been Japanese,) arealways extremely polite and deferent and nervous seeming. Not at all rude. Probably because they don't know the language...very sweet and cute, like them a lot better than American tourists; they're in their own country, they're cocky, they speak English, they're cocky, errythang makes them the rudest by far...
And Chink students obv have a reputation as all being geniuses in math/physics.