Could you help me translate? The text is: "Il y a pourtant une valeur bien vivante qu'aucun sarcasme, aucun terrorisme intellectuel n'est parvenu à entamer: c'est le couple". I would translate it as: "But there is a well alive value that no sarcasm, no intellectual terrorism has managed to harm: that is the couple". Is it correct? I would like to confirm the meaning of 1) pourtant = but 2) aucun = no, nobody, nothing (but, shouldn't it be used in negative?? Is there another meaning for this word?) 3) entamer = harm. Is that it? Merci beaucoup!
"And yet, there is a truly living worth that no derision, no intimidiation has managed to undermine: It's the couple"
pourtant is an adverb wich is mean "though or yet" aucun mean (no body): here is some meanings for "aucun" aucun des étudiants none of the students sans aucun doute undoubtedly , without a sous aucun prétexte under no circumstances n’avoir aucun scrupule à … have no qualms about … ne voir aucun mal à not see any harm in cela n’a aucun rapport avec la situation that has no bearing on the situation en aucun cas under no circumstances il n’y a aucune raison there is no reason, there isn’t any reason à aucun prix absolutely not d’aucuns some (people) i hope it will help you
Hello, I would say it is a possible translation but when translating you always have to make choices since there rarely is an exact translation. "entamer" can also mean "to begin", but not in this context. Regards