Zany
"ain't" and "gonna" Hi Vanya, What is the meaning of "ain't" I don't know if it is contracted form of which verb? eg : this ain't about me and this ain't about you The same for "gonna" eg : The blames gonna fall on me I don't understand the meaning of this above phrase. Thanks in advance. Zany
5
0
ain't = contraction for am not, are not, is not, has not, and have not This isn't about me and this isn't about you. gonna = going to The blame is going to fall on me. These two expressions are not standard.
gonna= going to ain't = contraction for am not, are not, is not, has not, and have not
I'd like to add to what the previous posters have said. In WRITTEN form, "gonna" is slang, and would only be used in informal situations (when emailing friends, for example). However, in SPOKEN English (at full speed) the words "going to" are very often contracted so that they sound like "gonna". In my opinion, "gonna" is a standardly accepted pronunciation of "going to" in normal everyday speech. You will even hear it in quite formal situations.
They're slang really. And as someone else already said, many people who use those words are looked down upon like they are stupid.
The above answers hit it on the spot. Actually, ain't and gonna are used in many southern states of the US (like mine, South Carolina) but, you're kind of looked down upon when you use them.
Zany